March 16, 2010

The Emerald City: Part 1

I am the kind of traveler that is resistant to being a tourist at all costs. I try my hardest to blend in, speak softly and politely, and to take the road less traveled as often as possible in the hopes of creating an experience that is uniquely my own. Seattle, however, is so delightfully charming in all of it's most heavily populated touristy areas it's almost impossible to skip it in favor of searching for hidden gems in a maze of high rises. Sometimes the most obvious places really are the best. And so...The Public Market remains a must-do in Seattle. I think the pictures speak for themselves.









So much to eat, so little time. Fresh made cheese cases everywhere had plenty of things to try. Le Panier had the best French breads and pastries I've ever had. The almondine croissants were literally heaven on earth. While waiting in line, a pretty girl playing an accordion out on the street began to sing La Vie En Rose and sounded just like Edith Piaf. Claire and I nearly started to cry! The perfect city moment.







These little treats are french macarons. I've had them before and been disappointed, they tasted better in my mind. This time, however, they did not disappoint. Perfectly crisp on the outside and cakey on the inside with perfectly smooth flavored butter cream in the middle. I am on a mission to recreate it somehow for my unlimited enjoyment! I'll have you over for tea when I have it mastered, it may be a very long wait.

4 comments:

  1. I love Seattle. I guess one time I told Trent how much I wanted to go there, so for our 5th year Anniversary he surprised me and took me there. I LOVED IT! The food was amazing. What a fun little getaway for you and Claire.
    I've been thinking about you and hoping things are going well. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kindle! I'm die-ing here!! Let's all pick up and move to Seattle for awhile...K? Looks like so much fun...glad you got to go.
    love you
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks simply deeeeelightful! I want to go to there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to travel with you! Actually, I'm with your mom, let's all just move there. Gorgeous pics, and now you've got me hankering for some of those macaroons! I've always wondered if they tasted good as well as looking so pretty.

    ReplyDelete